Criteria for selecting archives
World War I archives selection criteria
- All countries that participated in the First World War are included.
- Special attention has been given to records in Eastern and South East Europe, in order to describe so-called 'hidden archives', which did not have any digital representation.
- Archival institutions with significant holdings are described, with priority given to central national archives, national military archives, national war museums etc.
- Archives that possess a large selection of digitized finding aids.
Medieval Culture archives selection criteria
- Archives in most Western countries, including the USA and Australia.
- Special attention has to be paid to archives in Eastern and South East Europe.
- Collections of great interest to the academic community, and which are frequently cited in scholarship.
- Archival institutions that digitized a large part of their collections.
Descriptions of archival holdings
As descriptions of archival records can be added by users with contributors’ rights, and be made publicly available by users registered as editors, the Archival Directory should be seen as a work in progress, which depends on user contributions. When adding archival descriptions, contributors should avoid starting entries with either numbers or quotation marks.